— Marywood University’s Nutrition, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, & Respiratory Therapy department will hold a High School Field Experience Day on Thursday, November 7, 2019, from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., in the Center for Athletics and Wellness on the University’s campus. This event is free and open to interested high school students and their parents. Register online by November 1, 2019, at http://bit.ly/Nates, or at (570) 348-6277.
The High School Field Experience Day will include a welcome and opening; student breakout sessions; parent sessions, including information from Marywood’s Admissions and Financial Aid departments; a tour of campus; lunch; a Q&A panel, and additional student breakout sessions following lunch.
Breakout sessions include:
- Athletic Training: Acute knee injuries and evaluation—students will learn about common knee injuries, including an interactive lab session with evaluation skills. Students should wear or bring athletic shorts.
- Exercise Science: Vo2MAX testing—students will learn how to measure human aerobic capacity and performance using our state-of-the-art metabolic cart. This testing is commonplace for field sport & endurance athletes across the world and results can be compared to elite athletes.
- Nutrition: Introduction to jobs and four stations of potential practice areas including clinical, community, research (food science), and food systems management. The potential students will rotate and spend 15 minutes at each station, learning about what and RDN’s job in that practice area might look like.
- Respiratory Therapy: Students will see the different types of treatments and therapies used by Respiratory Therapists, including ventilation of both adults and infants. There will be a demonstration of lung inflation and answers to questions about the different areas in which RTs can work.
The afternoon breakout sessions include:
- Athletic Training—Acute Injury Care: Various methods used to treat injuries will be introduced through a hands-on lab session. Students should wear or bring athletic shorts.
- Exercise Science—Strength and Conditioning Assessments: Students will have the opportunity to use our new “Push Bands” to measure vertical jump height, power output, barbell velocity, and more during a series of movements and exercises. This technology is used in the assessment of collegiate and professional athletes.
- Nutrition:Reviews of RDN pathway and Marywood’s options to earn the RDN credential.
- Respiratory Therapy—Answers to any questions about what RTs do and where they can work. Demonstrations of different equipment and a discussion about how the respiratory area affects the entire body.
For additional information about the High School Field Experience Day at Marywood University, please visit www.marywood.edu/proactive-health.